Thursday, May 10, 2012

Catch up and Chaos

Hello and sorry for the delay.  It has been completely crazy in my world and I could spend this entire post catching you up on the past 18 days or so, but I really don't have it in me.
In a nutshell, Sully got his first cold and it ended up putting him in the hospital.  Having just a shunt in his heart makes it more difficult to fight infection.  We went into the emergency room on Sunday last week and we were in the hospital until Wednesday.  Obviously, I was not enjoying that stay in there because starting next Thursday, I will be living in the hospital for two weeks for his surgery.

Ah.. surgery.

Yep. It is finally here.  The day I have been dreading/looking forward to is here.  I cannot believe how quickly six months has passed and I can't believe it is time for his big surgery.  In my mind, I knew this was coming, but I have gotten so used to this state of limbo we are living in.  Sunday morning, we leave for Minneapolis.  We are having a Mother's Day lunch with my parents at their cabin in Hinckley, and then heading to the Cities.  We are staying with my in laws.  Sully has a pre-op appointment on Monday morning, a CT at the main hospital in Tuesday, a rest day on Wednesday and then we check in at 7am on Thursday morning and surgery is scheduled for 8:30am. To say that I am terrified, nervous, scared, stressed is the understatement of the year.  I am most definitely not looking forward to them cutting my son's chest open again.  I don't want him to have to have all those IVs again.  I don't want any of it. 
As much as I am dreading this day, I also can't wait for it to be done.  The first surgery, he was so small and they couldn't put in a valve, so the shunt was a temporary fix. This surgery is the actual solution. After this, there is no more weighing him every three days.  No more aspirin every other day.  No more oximeter check three times a day.  No cardiology appointments every month.  We  can finally be normal.  He can finally be like every other kid. After this, there are no restrictions.  That is what I am excited for.

I can't believe I only work today and tomorrow, and then I am off with Sully for almost six weeks.  I am so excited and blessed that I have a job that allows me to do that.  Luckily, it is all paid leave. I will enjoy spending quiet days at home together in the living room chair, snuggling.

Now, I don't ever ask for this, but I know that our community is a tight knit one so if you have time, and you read this blog, can you leave me a comment?  I need some pick me ups.  I am scared, ladies... really scared.  All the comments get sent to my email, so I will see them.  I will be posting updates as soon as I can.  Please send us lots of prayers and positive vibes.
Thanks ladies.

Courtney

10 comments:

  1. Will be thinking about you and sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family and Sully are in my prayers. So sorry you are going through this, I can't imagine just how stressful this must be! Hang in there and if you need to talk, please feel free to email me. holsen85@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will more than likely be sending an email! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. Stay strong, mama. Sully will be in great hands, and when it's over he'll have you to help him heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You guys are so awesome. You don't know how badly I need some cheering up. :-)

      Delete
  4. I know he will do great! Sending prayers to yall during the surgery and recovery, for his physical healing and for less anxiety for you before and during the surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. prayers and thoughts sent your way. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you are! I haven't been able to get to your blog! Thank you!

      Delete