Thursday, March 29, 2012

So much news, So little time

Hey ladies!

I cannot believe it has been a week since I have posted!  It has been insanely busy and I have finally had a moment to catch my breath.

First off, I want to say a big congratulations to Kristin and her hubby on the birth of their son Elliot James on Friday.  Kristin's daughter Stevie was born sleeping in May 2010.  Stevie's story and Kristin's unyielding strength has been a huge inspiration to me so I wanted to make sure I sent her a big WOOHOO!  I cried big, happy tears for her when I saw her post announcing his birth.  This community never ceases to amaze me.  It is so wonderful how you can feel such joy and happiness for someone you have never met in real life. Welcome to the world, Elliot!

Secondly, I need to say a giant thank you to my friend, L.  As you know, Robert and I will be lucky enough to stay in the Ronald McDonald house again for Sully's second surgery.  We are so grateful to them for all the help and support they gave us while we were basically in crisis with the first surgery.  Being able to sleep right in the hospital was so comforting and made it a little easier for me.  I wanted to make sure that we gave back to them as much as we possibly could so I reached out to my amazing friends and family.  I asked anyone and everyone to save poptabs for us.  RMD turns in the poptabs for cash.  Many people don't know this but there is just as much aluminum in the tab as there is in the entire can. It is also easier to collect than a bunch of messy cans.  Tons of my peeps have stepped up, but L and her family in particular, have really just given it all they've got!  They have taken their collection containers to their church and even though we still have a month left, look at their stellar showing:



Is that not the coolest thing you have ever seen?!  My mouth hit the floor when I saw that.  There are so many families that are going to benefit from all these pop tabs.  RMD has done so much for my family; this is the least we can do.  We are also collecting food items, laundry soap, etc for the RMD House as well.  There is a wish list on their website and Robert and I have been purchasing things, little by little.  I am hoping to have a trunk full of donations by the time we go back in May.  :-)

Thirdly, my boys and I survived the nastiest flu on record this past weekend.  On Saturday, Sully was throwing up his entire bottles after he ate them.  I didn't think much of it until it happened a third time, and then the third time was followed by green bile.  Obviously, we went to urgent care and called the Heart Clinic on the way there.  Luckily his cardiologist Dr. V, was on call and he told us to go to the ER instead, in case Sully needed to be admitted.  Now, Sully seemed ok, but this made me really nervous.  I started to cry and we headed over.  Sully James was all smiles and smelling like hurl.  We got to the ER and he didn't have a temp, his O2 sats were great, and he seemed a lot better.  The on call spoke to Dr. V and they ordered blood work, just to be sure.  The stinkin' lab couldn't get enough blood, so they had to stick his heels THREE times.  Mama and Sullivan did not care for that!  He was screaming his head off.  The blood work came back fine so we were found out it was a little GI bug and he should be fine.  We gave him an ounce of food at a time and he was able to hold everything down after that. 
On Sunday night, I started getting bad tummy cramps.  I felt like I may have gotten a touch of food poisoning.  Before I knew it, I was throwing up and having diarrhea.  We put Sully to bed and I went to lay down as well.  I could barely sleep because my stomach hurt so bad and I was constantly in the bathroom.  Around 2am, Robert came upstairs, and he too started to vomit.  OMG.
By 6am we were both in bed, freezing, and dealing with fevers of 103.2.  I have never been that sick in my life.  I called my brother to come feed Sully because I was so afraid I was going to get him sick.  I called the Heart Clinic yet again to make sure he could still drink my breast milk etc.  They assure me that Sully had probably given the sickness to us so he was probably safe.  My legs were so achy I could barely walk.  Robert was throwing throwing up, I was throwing up.  Robert was whining, I was whining.  And then there is my awesome boy.  He must have known Mama and Daddy were hurtin' units because he spent the day being absolutely perfect.  He took lots of naps, played toys, didn't whine a single bit and even went to bet at his normal 7pm time and slept the whole night.  We are so lucky!
It was nice because we already had a cardiology appointment scheduled for Tuesday so he got to get all checked out again. 
As usual, Dr V. said Sully looks fantastic!  I don't think I will ever tire of hearing how well my son is doing and what a great baby he is.  I am definitely proud.  As we were leaving, Dr. V says, "Ok, well we will see in in Minneapolis for pre-op on May 14th."

Wait.. what?

"So, no appointments in April?"  Nope.  Not a single one. No doctor visits.  No shots.  No home nurse.  No cardiologist.  No nothing!  We get to be normal for the entire month of April!  Can you believe it!?  I was so excited.  :-)  Woot! 

Well, I suppose I better actually get some work done today. 

Have a good one!
CourtneyAnna

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you guys are all on the mend and feeling better! We haven't gotten sick yet (knock on wood) and I am dreading it when it happens! Yay for no appointments in April!

    ReplyDelete