Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Humidity and Humanity

OK Mother Nature; enough of your bullshit.  I live in Northern Minnesota for the crying out loud.  90 degrees outside with the humidity at 92%..... Really?! 

This weekend was pretty uncomfortable for this preggo.  We got a TON of rain and then it immediately became hot.  We have been dealing with this pretty wicked humidity since Friday.  I have basically planted my butt in front of the AC and tried not to move.  It is always sexy when you are so sweaty, that my newly engorged boobs stuck to my protruding baby belly.  HAWT.  Oh, and also, I laughed so hard yesterday when Robert and I were cleaning house, that I peed.  Yep.... peed.  Robert laughed, I cried out of embarrassment; it was quite the sight.  Thankfully my office building is nice and cool today.

I suppose that takes care of the humidity part of my post, let's get to the humanity.

After work on Friday, Robert and I had to run to Target and the grocery store.  I wanted to get everything done in one fell swoop so  I wouldn't have to run errands this weekend.  Anyway, I ended up getting some Popsicles at Target.  I didn't want them to melt in the car, so I told Robert I would drop him and the stuff from Target off at home, and I would fly solo to the grocery store for a quick run.
As I was leaving, Robert told me to hurry back because it looked like it was going to thunder storm.  By the time I was halfway through my grocery run, the exhaustion hit.  I was so tired, so hot and my feet were starting to swell.  I just wanted to be home.  After I checked out and bagged my groceries, I walked outside and it was POURING RAIN.  Not just like, "Wow, that's coming down in sheets." But more like, "Wow, is someone dumping an entire ocean on the grocery store?"

I must have looked completely drained and defeated as I stared out at the torrential downpour.  Just as I was contemplating how I was going to accomplish a mad dash sprint with my purse, belly and groceries, a little angel came.  This boy, who couldn't have been more than 12 years old, came up to me and said, "Hey.  How about I watch your cart and you get your car and back it up here."  Dumbfounded at his kindness, I took him up on his offer. I ran like hell to my car and backed it up to the entrance. 
Just as I popped my trunk and got out to load my groceries, he says to me, "Sit down.  My mom is pregnant too, and you look tired.  I can take care of it."  This little boy loaded all my groceries for me.  In the rain. On his own accord.
I could feel my cheeks get hot and I knew that I was going to cry.  I grabbed a $5 bill out of my wallet and handed it to the boy.  I told him how nice it was that he did that, how much I appreciated it and that he made my night.  He was so excited to get the money. He looked so surprised that I gave it to him.
As I drove away, the tears fell.  I couldn't believe that there were still these awesome people in the world.  I suppose this is where I tell you that I worked in the Public Schools for six years prior to legal aid, so my faith in teenagers is basically non existent. 
When I got home, I was in full sob mode and I am sure I scared the crap out of Robert.  I reassured him that everything was fine and that I was just so relieved to know that there are still angels out there.
I hope that boy buys something nice for himself.  I also hope he knows that good deeds do not go unnoticed.
I know there was definitely a spring in my step and I will be paying it forward just a little bit thanks to my grocery store angel.

Courtney

1 comment: