Saturday, June 16, 2012

What did you just say?!

"MAMA! MAMA!"

Yep ... he said it. The word I have yearned to be called since the summer of 2009. The word that once seemed like so far away. The word I feel proud to be called & a title I don't take lightly.

Mama.

We have been working on Mama for a few weeks now. I knew Sully was going to be an early talker. He started babbling at 4 months & Robert & I talk non-stop & so does his daycare lady, Miss Molly.
The other morning, Sully & were getting ready to run errands. He was particularly chatty so I pounced at the opportunity to work on the sacred word. We sat in bed as I kept saying, "Ma-ma. Ma-maaa." He would babble & then silently mouth it. I tried for probably a half hour & he wouldn't say it out loud. Defeated, I left him to play as I went to the bathroom. When I walked out of the room, I heard, "Mama! Mama!"

I darted back in the room and stared at him in disbelief.

"What did you just say?!"

He gave me a big, toothless grin, like he loved keeping me in suspense. I tried to get him to say it again, praying it wasn't a fluke. Sully the Stinker then went back to silently mouthing it. I decided to step out again, just to see what he'd do.

"Mama! Mama!"

I ran back into the room & hugged my boy. I didn't want him to see the tears streaking down my face. He just giggled & hugged me. I don't think I've ever felt more joy in my life than I did at that moment.

I've been on cloud nine ever since. He's said it a few more times, & every time, my heart soars. I am so proud to be his Mama.

This is what it feels like when all your dreams come true.

I love you, Stinky Monster.


2 comments:

  1. Those are the BEST words our kiddos can say! Yay Sully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you. What a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete