Friday, June 8, 2012

Mama's Guilt

Hey Bloggy Mamas, I need some advice/encouragement.
I'm struggling with M.G.; Mama's guilt. I know some of you have posted about similar things, but I'm having a rough night.
Today, Duluth was having one of it's few scorcher days. Now, it was only in the high 80's yet my city is notorious for humidity in the 90's. It was muggy & gross all day & we haven't installed the AC yet. Sully & I were hot & sticky all day & it made both of us a little irritable. We went down to the Point for the annual Point wide rummage sales. I slathered him up with sun screen and swiped myself with some too. We found good deals & some nice lady let me sit in her yard & feed him & change his diaper in the shade.
After sweating my rear off, my friend & I beelined to Target for a quick pit stop. I ended up finally getting the Sullster a high chair & a few summer rompers.
Towards the end of our Target excursion, Sully started rubbing his eyes & crying. I don't know if he rubbed sun block in his eyes, or if he inherited Mama's bad allergies, but his eyes were red & he was a complete bear.
He dozed off on the 10 minute ride home & as soon as we got in, I gave him a cool bath to get any of the excess sun screen off. He seemed pretty good after that.
Then, I had to put the high chair together, clean, do some dishes (this is the part where I tell you I can't stand a messy house... LOL) and take care of my stinky bear.
My brother recently moved to North Carolina & I had to go to his storage unit & get his car title & his AC unit because his is nicer.
I had sent Robert a text to let him know I was a little on the crabby side, but he too had a bad day & apparently my day "couldn't have been that bad because I'm home with Sully all day." What, you think the cooking, cleaning & baby rearing fairy comes to our house while you're at work?!

Moving along; he got home & we ran to the unit. We grabbed the title & the AC. When we got home, it was pumping time yet again. Then, I had to feed Sully & get him ready for bed. When I went to get Sully's jammies after his puree, Robert was struggling with the AC so I had to assist. In the meantime, Sully is screaming his head off downstairs, wondering what the hold up with his bottle was.
Let me tell you, Sully never cries, but when he's hungry; get outta the way.
I finally got the bottle in his mouth & he chugged. I was hoping he'd fall asleep, but he was wide awake after.
At this point, I needed a break. I asked Robert to take over.
I grabbed a margarita & my nook, and headed for the patio.

So, here I sit....

......Feeling guilty as hell.

I feel like I shouldn't need "me" time. I feel guilty that I want to sit in quiet & blog for 10 minutes. Sully needs me. I begged & pleaded with God for years to give me Sully & now I'm out on the patio with a 'rita?!

Has anyone felt this way? I know I shouldn't, but it's hard. I feel guilty. I feel like a failure.

He's sound asleep now, & I'll be up to check on him in a little while. I have my ever present baby monitor. :)

Thanks for always being here ladies.

Courtney

3 comments:

  1. I have been here so many times too! I HATE admitting that I need time for myself because I feel like Aiden should be my #1 priority all the time. Don't feel guilty, you are doing your best and had a long, busy day. The heat doesn't help things much either :-) You are doing a great job and Sully loves you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed that. :) Thank you!! It's so tough sometimes. And the constant breast pumping is wearing on me too. :( And, we're transitioning Sully to his own room on Sunday. ::gulp::

      Delete
  2. Best of luck with the transition to his own room, I'm sure he will do great! I can imagine the constant pumping would be hard, I remember when I was trying to increase my milk supply, how tough it was to breastfeed, then go sit and pump. SO time consuming! You are doing a great job hanging in there and breastfeeding!

    ReplyDelete