Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sully Update!

Hey ladies! 

Yesterday was extremely insane and I meant to post but time got away from me. I will do a Wonderful Wednesday post tomorrow to make up for my lack of Terrific Tuesday.  For now, I will update about Sully's appointment from Friday.

Well, as you remember, I was not looking forward to going without Robert to this thing.  I don't have a penis, so I was not looking forward to going to the circ.  I left work at noon on Thursday and picked up Sully from daycare. I of course forgot my nook AND formula so before I got him, I had to swing by our house, which I was not thrilled about.
Anyway, I finally get Sully and get on the road.  I was going to stop in Pine City to get gas and lunch.  Well, Mr. Sully James had other plans.  About 13 miles before Hinckley, he woke up from his nap and decided that he was hungry and wanted to scream his head off.  I was able to make to the Hinckley, which is a pretty famous halfway point between Duluth and Minneapolis.  I am pumping gas and Sully is screaming in the car.  I take him out and I go into the bathroom to change his diaper.  Just my luck, there is no changing table in the bathroom.  Awesome.  I had to lay his changing pad on the sink and then two women using the bathroom decide to forgo the silent paper towels and instead op for those deluxe dryers that blow at about 50 decibels.  So, Sully then starts crying again and doesn't stop until I get him into the car and a bottle in his mouth.  He still had a really runny nose so I am sucking that out with the Nosefrida and feeding him a bottle in the back seat of my car in a White Castle parking lot. ::ugh::

There was a bunch of construction for the second half of my trip so by the time I reached my in laws, I was frazzled and starving.  On a better note, they took us out for a nice dinner at the Tavern, shopping at Target, and then stopped at Byerley's for a Chocolate Symphony for dessert.  It was really nice.

Sully had a rough night sleep and he couldn't eat anything after midnight so that made it more difficult.  At about 9pm, I started to feel pukey.  Sully woke me up for the last time at 4am and I just figured I would get up.  I finished packing our things.  I had my mother in law hold Sully while I packed the car.  All of a sudden, I don't know if it was nerves or what, but I leaned over in the middle of the street at 5:45 and yaked.  (You've got to be kidding me!!?)
I loaded Sully in the car and we set off for the 6 block trek to Children's.  My mom and Ken were already there waiting for us.  We went to the surgery waiting room and waited for them to call us back.  While we waited, my mom pushed Sully around in a little cozy coupe and he loved it:




Sully was such a good boy!  i am sure he was hungry, but he was having too much fun playing. :-)
He went back for the circ and I cried a little.  I know it wasn't a big deal, but every time you see your child be taken into surgery, all those feelings come rushing back. The circ was only about 30 minutes and he was back, and he was STARVING!  He chugged 10 ounces and didn't even spit up!  We sat in recovery for about an hour and then he was back to his old self!  I swear, this kid is such a trooper!  We went to the CVCC floor and brought our treats.  The docs and nurses loved them.  It was nice to see everyone and they were so excited to see how perfect Sully is.



Making funny faces in the cafeteria!

We stopped at the cafeteria for a quick snack and then walked across the street to the heart clinic for our appointment with Dr. V and an echo.  Sully was getting a little angry at that time and when we weighed him, he peed everywhere! He is now almost 18lbs and 28 inches long!  He is growing like a weed! :-)
We had the echo first.  I hate that the techs can't tell us anything.  It always makes me on edge.  Then we met with Dr. V for the results of the echo.  Everything with Sully's valve is great.  He thinks it will last longer than originally thought; maybe until Sully is in 1st grade!  That is great news!  His O2 levels are perfect and everything looks great.  The only downer of the appointment is that Sully's left pulmonary artery is still a little narrow.  We knew this before and it comes with the territory of Pulmonary Atresia.  It could still grow as Sully grows, but we are going to recheck it in March and if it isn't getting wider, we will go to Children's when he is 2, stay overnight and then they will go through his groin with a balloon and stretch out that artery a little bit.  When he has his next surgery, they will put a patch on it and that will be the permanent fix.  It isn't anything bad and won't limit him or anything, it is just another procedure.  :-(  And much to my dismay, just to err on the side of caution, we are going to keep him on the blood pressure meds until March.  Oh well.  At least my boy is healthy, right?  And so damn adorable!

On our way back to Duluth on Friday, my mom and I stopped at the Carter outlet store... bad idea! :-)  $200 later, Sully has tons of new duds!  My little man is now in 12 month clothes!  Holy cow!  Where was the baby I brought home that barely fit in a newborn size? :-)

As for the rest of the weekend, we did lots of family stuff.  We went to a fall fest on Saturday and Sully rode a shuttle bus!  He loved seeing all the people.  I gave him a bite of my corn on the cob too and that was a hit. :-)  We spent Sunday watching football and hanging out with the grandparents.  It was pretty awesome.

Well, sorry that was obnoxiously long, but it was a big update!  Thanks for the support ladies!  It means a lot!

Courtney

4 comments:

  1. So glad that everything went well. I can only imagine how nerve wracking all of that must be. Thank goodness that part is over with now.

    Sully is just so handsome and growing so quickly. Can't believe he's almost 1!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really happy for you all that the overall news is pretty darned good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear everything went well for Sully! Thanks for the update even though I'm a bit slow to responding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad everything went well and that you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete