Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A trip to the birthing center

Don't worry.  I haven't given birth yet, but I was pretty damn scared that I was going to.
On Monday, I got to work and I was pretty stressed out. There is a ton of stuff left to be done on our house before Sully comes and for the next two weekends, we have family coming to stay with us.
I decided to leave work at noon and head home to get some things done and get a jump on it.  I had been putzing around for a few hours.  I was putting some weather stripping on one of the windows and all of a sudden there was a big gush of fluid.  I reached down and my pants were definitely wet.
I stood there for a minute in shock.  Did my water just break?  I'm only 33 1/2 weeks.  This can't be happening.
I finally shook off the shock and called Dr. S's office.  They wanted me to come in right away and get checked out.  There was no one to drive me in, so I told the nurse I was driving myself.  She was not pleased about that.  She asked, "What about your parents?"  That caused me to burst into tears and pitifully say, "All my parents live out of state and I am all alonnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee."  It was pretty pathetic.
I changed my wet pants, grabbed a bag of random items just in case, and got into the car.  I focus better in panic mode, so I wasn't concerned about driving myself.  My mind was racing. Then I thought to myself, when is the last time I felt him move?  Had I felt him at all that day?  I started to get really worried then.  I know that the later you get in your pregnancy, movement decreases because they are limited space, but I was really worried now.
I called Robert and picked him up on the way into the birthing center.  We got there and I was pretty calm and collected; until we got to the room and the nurse asked me what brought me in that day.
I completely lost it.  I told her that I had leaked fluid and that I didn't think I could feel him moving.
I got into a gown and she put the monitors on me.  The second his big, strong heartbeat came on the speaker, I cried even harder.  That is the most beautiful sound in the world.  The monitor also showed that I wasn't having contractions.  Thank goodness.  I was so panicked that my blood pressure was 158/100.  I guess I was more upset than previously thought.  We had to do that amniotic fluid test where they stick this huge Q-tip in your lady station and then mix it with this solution to see if there is amniotic fluid present.  Luckily, the test was negative.  So if it wasn't amniotic fluid, what the hell happened?  The answer is beyond embarrassing, but I guess it happens all the time:  Sully put his head into my bladder so quickly and forecfully, that I peed my pants.  Yep... pissed myself.  I didn't even get the urge to go.  I just went.
I was so glad that he was OK, and that I wasn't in labor yet.  The resident doc looked like Dougie Howser and was younger than me.  He was incredibly nice, but it was slightly awkward.  They decided to check me for dilation anyway.  Did I mention I love being a human hand puppet?  Haha I am not dilated at all and everything is 100% where it is supposed to be.  The resident was concerned that my blood pressure was so high when I came in.  I assured him it was just because I was so frantic.  He went to recheck and just as I thought;;; 122/66.  It is amazing what pure joy and relief will do to a blood pressure. :-)
I still have my appointment next week with Dr. S for the growth ultrasound.  I was really nervous when he mentioned inducing me 2 weeks early if Sully is getting big, because I was scared of a C Section, but after this little episode, I am ready to have him out of the belly and see him be OK.  Either way, I am getting so excited to meet him. This pregnancy has enough excitement!

Oh, and we did have that office baby shower yesterday, but I will post on that later.

Happy Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! Sorry you had such a scare but glad to hear everything is all right! And after you've calmed down, it's kind of funny. I shall keep this in mind if I suddenly feel very wet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's scary! I'm glad everything is OK! I've already peed myself a little.

    ReplyDelete