Friday, October 14, 2011

I need your opinion

I am in dire need of your thoughts here.  I am in a dilemma at work. 
Here is the 411:

I know I have posted on here that another woman I work with is also pregnant.  She is also an IF mom.  We'll call her K.
K had a miscarriage and then become pregnant.  That pregnancy lead to the birth of her now soon to be 4 year old son.  Shortly after his birth, she and her husband started trying again.  There were nothing but troubles for her.
She and I spent the better part of 2010 comforting each other, supporting each other and struggling to get pregnant.  During that time, she had four more miscarriages.  It was beyond heartbreaking to watch.
Every time she got pregnant, she always told me right away but was always sensitive and caring; asking me if I was OK, and she hopes I wasn't sad.  Of course I was always slightly bummed when someone got a bun in the oven and it wasn't me, but I was always thrilled for her.
I was also the one that always got the phone call when she was on the way to the hospital after she tell tale bleeding started that would always end in a D & C.
The Saturday in March that I found out I was pregnant with Sully, she was the first phone call I made.  I remember how my hands shook when I dialed.  I didn't want her to feel badly.
K was anything but bummed out for me.  She was so excited and told me how happy she was.  It was a relief.  We had plans to go to dinner the next night so I was excited to sit and chat with her.
The next evening, we went to dinner and we talked all about this new pregnancy and what I could expect from maternity at work etc.
She was so kind and sincere.
Later that evening, Robert and I were sitting at home and my phone rang.  It was K.  I wondered what she was doing calling so late, but I picked up anyway.  Her voice was full of excitement; she took a HPT and she was pregnant too!
K said that after we left the restaurant, she started thinking about her own schedule, and she realized that she too was late.
I couldn't believe it.  Not only did we both get our miracles, but we were going to be pregnant together!
We decided to meet before work and run to the doctor to get blood work done, just to be sure.
We found out at that appointment that K was actually 3 weeks further along and had no idea. We were given due dates 3 weeks apart and sent on our way.  This was just perfect.
K and I have both had ups and downs during our pregnancies, but so far, so good.  While I have been vomiting like that girl from the "Exorcist," she has been having the most awful swelling in her feet.
We have once again supported each other, comforted each other and marveled at the sheer size of our bellies with each other.  It is so exciting to have a friend being going through the exact same thing together. 
Now, we are exactly one month from her scheduled C-Section and a short 7 weeks from my due date.  I can't believe how fast the time has gone.
Here is where I need your opinion.
I work in a very small office.  There are 12 of us in here, and everyone usually knows everyone's business.  Most people in here are aware of my trouble's and K's troubles.  Everyone was pleased to peaches when they discovered we were pregnant, let alone, so close together.
One of my other co workers brought up throwing a little office shower.  A little cake, presents and a pot luck.
I was thrilled.  I am just so grateful to be pregnant that any time someone wants to celebrate Sully, I am all for it.
The co worker planning it, let's call him P, is pretty much a social retard.  He has no filter and is extremely arrogant.  Part of me keeps hoping that somewhere deep down, he is a decent guy, but sadly, he always lets me down.  I was a little leery of him throwing this shower, but he wanted to do it, so we let him have it.
Just as I thought, he started small grumblings about having to order the cake and coordinate everything etc.  I blew it off, thinking it was his normal lack of filter at its finest.  Then, came the double whammy.
After our office closed, he said he needed to talk to me.  We sat at my desk and he proceeded to tell me that some people in this office felt angry that K was getting to be part of the baby shower, because they had thrown her a baby shower when she was pregnant with her 4 year old. They felt like it should only be a shower for me.
I was shocked. 
People were angry?!
My first thought was that it was P being a jerk so I went into the office of my confidante at work and prepared to bitch.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that my confidante was one of the angry people.  I asked her why she was angry and she then went on a rant on how "greedy" K was being and that she was "horning" in on my shower.  She said that K was in a higher position than me in the company and that she should have stepped back and let me have the shower by myself because it was my first baby and because now people couldn't spend as much on a gift for me.  Her face was red as we spoke and I could not believe my ears.  Yes, I get that technically you don't have a shower with subsequent children, but these were obviously special circumstances.
I remember leaving her office that day and I felt totally crushed.  I sent P and email and demanded that he cancel the shower.  The next day, he came to my office and told me that he had taken care of it and everything was fine.  I agreed to put the shower back on.
Cut to Wednesday night.
My confidante, L, was in her office, looking at my baby registry.  She asked me to come in her office and let her know what I still would really like or need.  I started pointing out some items when she started in about K again.  I could feel my blood start to boil.  L said that she was going to get me a small gift that was similar to what she was going to give K for the office shower and then give me a "real" gift in private.
That was it.  I couldn't take it anymore.  I looked at her and said, "Do you think this is all about presents?  That all we care about is getting stuff?"  In a fit of what I can assume was preggo anger, I grabbed my registry that she had printed, and I tore it up.  I told her that she could buy whatever she wanted, but that I was going to return it.  I told her that this is a time for celebration, and now it is being tainted.  I most certainly did not want to celebrate Sully like this.
I walked out of her office and sent P a scathing email about how the shower was done and I didn't want to hear another word about it.
Thankfully, K had left for the day because I would never want her to know how people felt and how "adults" in our office were acting.
I ran into another coworker in the hallway, D, and told her that the shower for Tuesday was cancelled. When she asked why, I told her that I was sick of the grumbling and it wasn't worth it. 
I went home and thought about it all night.
Yesterday morning when I got into work, I had an email from D and another coworker M.  They pretty much knew how jerky P and L were being and decided that they were not going to dictate our fun.  They both agreed that this is a special circumstance and all babies and mamas deserved to be celebrated. M and D decided to throw the shower instead of P and they took the reigns and basically gave everyone the finger.
We still are not going to let K in on the real reason that people are assholes because we would never want her feeling so badly.
So I ask you this:  Who is right in this situation?  Is is L, who believes that K should step aside and opt not to be involved with this shower and that she is being greedy by not stepping aside?
Or is it me, who believes that all there are special circumstances where someone may get a second shower?  Where it would be wrong in such a small office, having two women pregnant SO CLOSE together, and deciding to only celebrate one?  Where it is wrong to assume that all celebrations are about presents?!

I appreciate all your input ladies!  Apparently L isn't the only one that feels this way and I am flabbergasted.

2 comments:

  1. I know I'm really late to this but I just wanted to weigh in. I personally think you are right in this situation. Normally I agree that subsequent children should not have real, honest to goodness shower but K really does deserve to be celebrated. What an accomplishment to make it this far!!

    I found your blog today and I'm so excited for you. I'm almost 32 weeks so I'm not too terribly far behind you. It's nice to "know" other people in the same situation. I hope all turned out well with this shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was pretty crazy that people were being so petty. The shower actually turned out ok, yet there was still tension.
    Do you have a blog too?

    ReplyDelete