Friday, November 30, 2012

Newborn Heart Defect Screening Awareness Day

Today, Cora Mae McCormick would have been 3 years old.  She would have been having a princess party and eating too much cake.  She would have running around and holding up three chubby little fingers to let people know how old she was. 

Instead, she only lived for 5 days. 

Cora had a heart defect that went undiagnosed... until it was too late.
Her defect may have been caught if a simple pulse ox had been done after her birth.  The pulse ox could have alerted doctors and staff that there was something wrong.

Since the death of her beautiful daughter, Cora's mother, Kristine, has been a champion all over the country for the need for pulse ox screening.  She truly is a hero and an inspiration.

We were one of the lucky ones.  Because of my high risk pregnancy, a pulse ox was done on Sully when he was born.  His O2 sats were in the 70's.  His low O2s told the doctors that something was wrong and they ordered an echo to be done.  They discovered Pulmonary Atresia with Tetrology of Fallot.  Surgery saved Sully and it was all because the pulse ox showed abnormal O2 levels.  I am so grateful that I have my son here with me today.  I am so glad that I can hug him and kiss him and smell him.  I don't know what I would have done if we had had a different outcome.  I doubt I could have been as strong as Kristine.

Today I am wearing pink in honor of Cora.



You can also read Sully's story at:

http://babyheartscreening.com/family-stories/sullys-story/

It is so important to be informed.  You are your child's only advocate.  Know what to look for, and ask for the screening. 

Big hugs to Kristine today and a big Happy Birthday to our angel Cora.

Love,

Courtney and Sully

No comments:

Post a Comment