Wednesday, November 21, 2012

New Doc, new outlook

Good morning and happy day before Thanksgiving!

I am really having trouble finding my motivation at work today so I figured I would blog stalk and post.. haha.  That is an appropriate use of time, right? 

Anyhow, I want to start off by saying a big, huge, giant CONGRATULATIONS to a fellow Blogger, K.  She and her husband have had multiple pregnancy losses and IF, and recently attempted their first round of IVF.  I am happy to say that it worked!  They had 3 embryos implanted so they may have triplets. :-)  Please pray that they get their take home babies!  K, I am so happy for you! 

Recently, I have been doing a lot of thinking.  I was due for my yearly pap and gyno exam, so I figured I better get going a find a new doc.  Most of you know my story and how unhappy I was with my last birthing and prenatal experience, so I decided to leave that hospital completely and go to someone else.  I have been researching doctors for the past couple weeks and asking all my friends.  I finally decided on Dr. E.  She is a female, which I am also excited about.  I had my first appointment with her yesterday.  I was nervous all morning because my previous clinic had sent over all of my records and I was sure they were a foot thick.
I didn't want her to read them and think I was a loon or something. 
When I got to her office, her nurse was extremely nice and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say and was very on top of things.  I assumed that I would have to strip and wait for Dr. E, but the nurse said that Dr. E likes to talk with patients first and she thinks that patients are more comfortable when they are dressed.  Um.. yea we are!  Why don't more docs think like this?

The nurse left and I waited for Dr. E.  She came in and shook my hand and we got down to business.  She asked me questions and our long, stressful story spilled out.  I was hoping to make it out of this appointment without crying, but that wasn't the case. She patted my arm and just listened.  Dr. E agreed that things were not handled properly during my stay at the other hospital and perhaps some things were missed during my prenatal care.  Dr. E also explained how future pregnancies would go.  It doesn't sound like it would be a walk in the park.  Haha!
Robert and I aren't planning on trying for another couple of years, but this is a rundown of what it would be next time:
As soon as I find out I am pregnant, I would need to come to the clinic and get supplies for a 24 hour urine collection.  Because I had pre-ecclampsia last time, I run a risk of it nex time, so they want to get a baseline of protein in my urine.
I would not only be watched by Dr. E, but also by Dr. O, a high risk MFM.  I would be watched every 2 weeks throughout my pregnancy. 
At 20 weeks, we would have a complete anatomy scan.  They would check every system and take a billion vials of my blood to check everything.
At 22 weeks, we would go to Minneapolis to have a fetal echocardiogram to check for any abnormalities.  Most people have a 1% chance of having a child born with a heart condition, but when you have a child born with a heart condition, your chances raise a little to 3%. 
They would also be doing multiple urine collections to check protein throughout the pregnancy.
I will also get more ultrasounds, which is the one good thing about a high risk pregnancy.
I will still be on the progesterone supps for the first half.
I will also not be attempting a vbac.  It will be a scheduled C Section.

After we talked for about a half hour, I had my exam and I was on my way.  I felt so comfortable and relieved.   I have a feeling she is going to be very good for me and it makes me feel more optimistic about any future children we may be blessed with.

We are hittin' the road tomorrow to head to Minneapolis for Turkey Day. I'm excited to see my hubby's family and eat turkey and drink wine.  Since I don't have to cook at all, it will be even better. :-)

There is a ton for us to be thankful for this year so I hope everyone takes a minute and reflects on all the amazing blessings. 


Colossians 3:15

And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.

And to all of my ladies out there:


Philippians 1:3

Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God.

Love to you are yours,

Courtney



4 comments:

  1. You're too sweet!!!

    I'm so glad you found a doctor that helps put your feasters to rest! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and stay safe on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, feasters= fears! Not sure how that happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so relieved for you that you found a doctor you are comfortable with. It sounds like you found a keeper in this one!!

    Happy thanksgiving to y'all. Hope you had a wonderful day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you found a doctor you like! I am really unhappy with my previous one and need to find a new one as well, but I am dreading it. Your doctor sounds amazing, I am jealous! :-)

    ReplyDelete