Tuesday, September 13, 2011

28 weeks and GD Testing

28w 3d.

I can't even believe it sometimes.  I am actually in my third trimester and Sully will be here in less than 12 weeks.  It is still so surreal.
I had my 28 week check up and GD screening done yesterday.  I was dreading drinking that stuff because I had heard absolute horror stories about it and since I just stopped vomiting, I was nervous that it would make me sick.  I also was panicky because I most certainly did not want the complication of gestational diabetes.
To my surprise, the drink wasn't that bad.  It was icy cold, which I think helped, and I got the lemon lime variety.  It just tastes like fountain pop syrup.  I thought I was going to have my appointment during the hour I had to wait, but they were completely backed up, so I had to park it in the waiting room and catch up on celeb gossip in the pages of People.
There were five of us preggos in the waiting room doing the GD screening.  We all thought that it was funny that there was so many of us, so one of them joked, "Hey, maybe we should turn this into a drinking game.  Anyone up for quarters?"
It was a nice laugh for some of us who are always tense at the OB.
After my timer went off, the nurse pricked my finger and took my blood.  I swear, I was sweating like a whore in church while I was waiting for that little machine to beep and tell me my fate.
Luckily, I passed with flying colors!  Woot woot!  No GD for this lady!  I was really relieved.
After my blood draw, I met with Dr. S and a nursing student.  I generally don't care to have strangers in the room but after all my IF stuff, my dignity has basically flown the coop.  And, this girl seemed really nice.
He measured my belly, listened to Sully's awesome heart beat and checked on how things had been going with me.  He was thrilled to hear about my glucose and my hemoglobin.  I guess most pregnant ladies have a tough time mainting their hemoglobin and it dips below 11, but mine was holding strong at 15.6 so he was impressed by that. 
He decided to do a growth check at my ultrasound in 2 weeks, (yep... I will go in every 2 weeks now... )
because my belly is measuring a week ahead, but since I had a belly prior to getting pregnant, he wants to see how much of my belly is Sully and how much is me. :-)
At this point, I am thinking that no appointment can get better than this and I am ready to walk about the door and call my troops with an update, when Dr. S throws the curve ball.  Seeing as I am now in my third trimester, they are going to start checking me for dilation.  Ugh.  I really hate having someone elbow deep in my vag at 8am.  Both Dr. S and the med student gave it a go before it was discovered that my cervix is too high and they needed to use the internal ultrasound to check dilation.  I don't think I have even been more grateful to see that wand in my life.  The manual check was very uncomfortable.
I am not dilated at all and everything in that area is in excellent shape.
I still can't believe that I will be going every 2 weeks now, and then every week! It is getting so close. :-)

I also tried my hand at being crafty.  Those who know me in the real world know that I just don't have a knack for crafts, but I knew I wanted to do something special for my little boy.  I waddled my preggo behind into Michael's and bought a little plaque, and some paint, and some wood glue and letters, and here is the final product:


Not too shabby, if I do say so myself!

Hope all is well with the rest of you gals! 

Courtney

3 comments:

  1. Cute sign! No, the drink isn't bad at all and I find it annoying when people complain about it because if that's their biggest problem in pregnancy, they have it easy. Glad you don't have GD and everything looks well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you passed the GD test. I love the name plaque.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Man, I can't even believe how close we are getting to him being here! WahoooooOO!

    ReplyDelete