Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Where have I been?

Well hello there!

So much has been going on since we last spoke!  I had my big trip to North Carolina to visit my parents, and let me tell you; I would move there in a heart beat!  The weather was 75 degrees and sunny the entire time I was there.  And for those of us living in Minnesota, there was an ice storm at home while I was gone.  Can't say that I am sad I missed it!  Haha!  It was difficult to be away from Robert for 6 days, but my parents were thrilled to have me and I was thrilled to see them.  We saw and did a lot of things while I was there.  We walked around outside a lot which I absolutely loved.

This is Bass Lake in Holly Springs, N.C.  The sunset on the lake was so spectacular:

Also, North Carolina rarely sees snow and even if it gets a measly inch, all banks, schools, everything... completely closes!  I couldn't believe it.  Even though they rarely get snow, they have a fascination about it.  Thus, Snow in a Can... yep, it's real....


We also went walking around the Civil War battleground of Bentonville.  It was quite an experience.  It was a moving experience just knowing you were walking on hallowed ground.  Everywhere you looked, you could imagine what people had been through, see, and heard there.  An old southern house is on the site.  It is called Harper House.  A doctor lived there and he and his children saw the 20,000 Confederate troops coming face to face, outnumbered, to the 60,000 Union troops.  I couldn't imagine seeing that carnage.
I have more pictures I haven't posted yet, but here is one of the placards:



I had to keep that one big so you could see it all. :-)

While in the South, I had my first taste of real Carolina BBQ.  We went to a place called Allen and Sons and had some pulled pork, slaw, and my very first hush puppy.  Now, I had no idea what on earth a hush puppy even was, but man oh man.... it was DELISH!  I mean, what is not to love about deep fried corn bread?!


It was wonderful to spend quality time with Dad and Sandy.  It was relaxing and a lot of fun.  It was very hard to leave them when they brought me to the airport though.  I had told myself that crying was not an option; I didn't want to be "that girl".  You know the ones... the airport criers.  But alas, I sobbed anyway.  I got on my plane and came back to the frozen tundra of the Northland.  Even though is was snowy and freezing, I was really glad to be back.  When we were flying over Lake Superior, (in a 20 seater plane... ick) it looked so beautiful:




Robert and Dan were excited to see me too.  I really missed my boys, and my doggaughter, Eve.  Speaking of my canine child, isn't she adorable?



I know this post seems like rambling, but I just had so much to tell!  I haven't be able to post for a while!

And also, I had my internal ultrasound the day before I left for my trip.  Again, the cyst isn't small enough.  Another round of birth control and if it doesn't shrink, they want to cut it out through my belly button.... ick.  I really hope it doesn't come to that.  And to top it off, as of January 2011, insurance companies wont cover fertility treatments so now I have to pray I get grandfathered in.  Grrr..  I go in again Dec. 8 for yet another internal ultrasound.  It is super hard to stay positive when every single appointment has me leaving with suede wrapped packs of birth control.  Oxymoron much?!

The bright spot on the horizon is Christmas.  I ADORE Christmas.  And with my dad and Sandy no longer living here, it is my duty to make it special for my brothers.  They are all coming over on Christmas Eve and I am going to make a big dinner, and open presents, and I even got them all stockings.  :-)  Needless to say I am feeding my urge to nurture with these guys!  Dan and I spent the weekend Christmas-a-fying the house!  I even brought back 50 Magnolia leaves to use as gift tags on presents!  They look to pretty!



Well, I suppose that is enough rambling.  Oh yea, and we are in the middle of a giant snowstorm today..... EPIC FAIL.
~Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment