Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dealing with a low supply

Me and my pump.  Frenemies for the next none months.  I am adamant about Sullivan not going to back to any formula, (he had to have his breast milk fortified when we first got home and I was not happy about that.)
Sully has stopped latching and breast feeding at all so I am pumping 10 times a day, and still dealing with a low supply.  There are some times were I pump a full bottle's worth, about 4oz, and other times, I only get a half ounce out of each breast.  Now with Sully in daycare, I need to send 20 oz worth, and I am so worried that I am not going to have enough.  I have blown through my freezer stockpile and I now only have what I am pumping every day.  I really don't want him to drink formula and he doesn't care for it any way, so I have started looking at other ways to build up my supply.  Pumping more than the ten times a day I am already doing is just not an option.

I called the lactation consultant at Children's yesterday, and she suggested I start taking a Fenugreek supplement.  It is an herb that helps build up milk supply in lactating women.  I have to take three of these giant horse pills three times a day.  They make me super gassy.  I know it is probably a TMI, but I have had to leave my office and retreat to the bathroom to, ahem, relieve myself.  So far, I have pumped three times since coming to work and I have about 6 oz pumped.  I was hoping I would see more, but I have only been taking the Fenugreek for 12 hours and they said it would take 24-72 to see results.  Has anyone else tried this stuff?  I may try an get a manual pump to try too because I heard they stimulate a little better than the electric ones. 

Everyone keeps telling me and I am doing such a good job, and that keeping up a supply with just a pump is hard and doing it this long is awesome, but I am not willing to give it up yet.  Breast milk is so much better for babies, especially Sully when he needs to heal from surgery.   I am hoping this all works so I can up my supply!  Keep your fingers crossed!

Courtney

1 comment:

  1. I tried fenugreek and it didnt do much but i STUNK like maple syrup ughh. i have also tried blessed thistle and "lactation cookies". the manuel pump did a lot better than the electric but it took 2x as long.

    when u have to pump away from sully put a blanket over ur shoulder so u can smell him and keep a video of him making noises on ur phone so that u can see and hear him. it helps.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete